This website analyzes the economics of biofuel and biopower production and their potential to meet energy demands in environmentally sustainable and cost-efficient manners. The site was created as a project for a course on the Economics of Science and Technology by five students at Wesleyan University.
Biofuel is a type of fuel that harnesses energy from biomass through biological processes. Biofuel has gained public and scientific support, due to the need for increased energy security as well as concerns over greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels. Biofuel is categorized into different generations based on the feedstock and technology involved. Two common types of biofuel are ethanol and biodiesel.
Bio-power, which is a form of bio-energy, is the production of electric power using biomass feedstock. There are a large variety of feedstock that can be used in the production process, ranging from agricultural residues to herbaceous biomass. It is important to note that each type of feedstock has both economic and technical advantages and challenges associated with it, when compared to fossil fuels.
In 2008, a total of 55.9 kilowatt-hour of biomass electricity was produced in the United States. Out of this total, 70 percent of it used residuals of wood and the remaining 30 percent was from biogenic municipal solid waste, agricultural (and other) byproducts, landfill gas.